If you haven’t heard of the SoKo beauty wave or the famed 10-step skincare regime yet, you may well have been living under a rock, but fear not, we bring you a quick primer on the beauty habits of South Korean women that will take you from clueless to cued in!
It is a fact universally acknowledged that South Korean women have great skins. And that’s because skincare is serious business for them! The nightly skincare ritual of South Korean women (and men) involves – hold your breath! – 10 steps, lovingly and painstakingly performed. But let’s face it, we can’t manage a decathlon on our faces each night, so here’s a zipped version:
- The twice clean: Dab on an oil-based cleanser, wipe off the day’s makeup and grime and follow up with a light non-drying face wash. The twice clean ensures your pores stay pure.
- The tone: Using a toner stabilizes the pH balance of your skin.
- The 3-step moisturise: An essence, a targeted serum addressing a specific need and finally, a lightweight moisturiser. South Koreans believe hydration is the heart of skin health!
- Mask mania: The at-least-biweekly sheet mask is an essential part of the South Korean beauty routine. Women world over rave over the pick-me-up power of this global rage! The good news? Sheet masks are available in India with Maskeraide: try their I Don’t Wanna Grow Up mask to make your skin travel back to its dewy past in 20 minutes flat!
- Exfoliate: South Koreans swear by frequent exfoliation. Too much, you would think? Not really – the key is not to scrub your entire face every night. Focus more on “problem areas” like the nose and glam up SoKo style!